This is my first playthrough of the fully assembled cabinet!
Building a Shape Arcade – Part 6Updates
Today I recut the unit from MDF and assembled an early version with a placeholder display. This is my friend Raymond, who is the first to play it!
Building a Shape Arcade – Part 5Updates
While I was waiting for my display (15″ VGA monitor I got from eBay) and some additional cabling and assorted parts to arrive, I took the opportunity to complete a near final version of the game that will be played in the cabinet.
Let me know what you think!
Building a Shape Arcade – Part 4Updates
Testing the motorized function of my prototype cabinet. Right now I have a square taped to an SG90 microservo that is mapped to the player controller.
The hope is to have several shapes moving on the side of the cabinet as you play. It’s very cool, but kind of gimmicky at the moment. If it manages to perform well in testing without distracting players (the servos are pretty noisy), I’ll keep it 🙂
Building an Alternative Controller part 6Updates
I’ve finished developing an early version of the game itself over the past week, and today I got to test it with some friends with an improved circuit prototype!
Its pretty fun 🙂
Next steps are to solve the amount of noise present with serial communication over Bluetooth, solder components to the prototype shield, decide upon a final circuit board design for use in the final product, and to begin iterating upon external designs.
Building an Alternative Controller part 5Updates
Success! I was able to transmit the same serial data over Bluetooth using an HC-06 module with minimal changes to the code.
Because it is a bit buggy, I will have to experiment with the amount of delay and how the code is interpreted in openFrameworks to make it smoother. The only real change was with mapping the values.
Because the HC-06 only accepts a 3.3V power connection, it reduces the range of the potentiometers that I have. I kept only receiving maximum values of 169.
Which if you multiply by 1.5 you get 255. So by multiplying 255 by 1.5 to get 383 and mapping to that value, I’m able to get a more accurate range of data to send to openFrameworks.
Next steps are to Prototype the game experience with keyboard controls, and to invest in better potentiometers. Next version should be breadboardless as I move closer to finalizing a circuit board design.
Making a Musical Playground Part 5
Making a Musical Playground Part 4
Making a Musical Playground Part 3
Making a Musical Playground Part 2