While I was unable to get the Raspberry Pi to communicate with the Bluefruit nRF52 board over a Bluetooth serial communication (it appears to require further research in the Nordic SDK to get functioning) – it was a very good lesson for navigating low level hardware and basic Python scripting that I hope to apply to the rest of this project.
Today in class I was able to get the system up and running headless over SSH with a portable battery. After speaking with Matt, I learned that it may be best to just use the GPIO pins not being used by the Capacitive touch Hat to control the lights.
The next task will be to get the script running with sound and light (using LEDs) happening when a sensor is touched. Once we’ve got that working we can start implementing both on a small scale tree model.